As the financial landscape evolves, Portfolio Management Services (PMS) have become increasingly popular among high-net-worth individuals (HNIs) and discerning investors.
PMS offers personalized investment strategies, tailored to individual financial goals and risk appetites, making it an attractive avenue for wealth creation.
In this blog, we will delve into the world of PMS services available in India, the best options, their benefits, and how to choose one.
What is PMS aka Portfolio Management Services?
It is an investment management service offered by financial institutions and professional portfolio managers to manage the investments of high-net-worth individuals (HNIs) and wealthy clients.
PMS allows investors to have their investment portfolio managed on a personalized and individual basis, tailored to their specific financial goals, risk tolerance, and investment preferences.
In the context of PMS, the portfolio manager or a team of experts makes investment decisions on behalf of the clients, buying and selling securities such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other financial instruments to achieve the desired investment objectives.
The investments are managed to generate optimal returns while effectively managing risk.
Types of Portfolio Management Services
There are 3 common types of Portfolio Management Services (PMS) offered by financial institutions in India, catering to various investor preferences and risk appetites. Some of the common types of PMS include:
- Discretionary PMS: In this type of PMS, the portfolio manager has full authority to make investment decisions on behalf of the client without seeking prior approval for each transaction. The manager has the flexibility to adjust the portfolio as per market conditions and the client’s investment objectives.
- Non-Discretionary PMS: Unlike discretionary PMS, non-discretionary PMS requires the portfolio manager to consult with the client before making any investment decisions. The manager provides investment recommendations, but the final decision lies with the client.
- Advisory PMS: In advisory PMS, the portfolio manager offers investment advice and recommendations based on their market research and analysis. The client retains full control over the portfolio and executes the investment decisions independently.
Open Demat Account Now – Fill up the Form Below
Benefits of Portfolio Management Services
PMS offers several benefits to investors, particularly high-net-worth individuals (HNIs) and wealthy clients. Here are the key advantages:
- Personalized Investment Approach: PMS provides investors with a tailored investment strategy that aligns with their financial goals, risk tolerance, and investment preferences. This individualized approach optimizes the portfolio to meet their specific needs.
- Professional Management: Experienced and skilled portfolio managers handle PMS, utilizing their in-depth market knowledge to make informed investment decisions. They seek better returns while effectively managing risk.
- Direct Ownership of Securities: PMS allows investors to directly own the securities in their portfolio, ensuring transparency and clarity about the underlying investments.
- Diversification: PMS offers diversification across various asset classes, sectors, and industries. This diversification spreads risk and reduces the impact of market volatility.
- Flexibility and Customization: PMS portfolios can be easily customized to accommodate specific investment preferences or constraints. This adaptability ensures alignment with changing market conditions and investor needs.
- Regular Monitoring and Reporting: Portfolio managers consistently monitor the portfolio’s performance and provide detailed reports to clients. These updates keep investors informed about their investments’ progress and the overall market outlook.
- Tax Efficiency: PMS can be structured to optimize tax implications for investors. Portfolio managers may employ tax-saving strategies to reduce tax liabilities and enhance after-tax returns.
- Access to Exclusive Opportunities: HNIs investing through PMS gain access to exclusive investment opportunities not available through traditional channels.
- Reduced Administrative Burden: PMS allows investors to delegate the day-to-day administrative tasks of managing investments to the portfolio manager. This frees up time and resources for the investor to focus on other aspects of their financial planning.
- Long-Term Focus: PMS managers typically adopt a long-term investment approach, allowing the portfolio to benefit from compounding and weather short-term market fluctuations.
Best PMS in India
In the ever-evolving landscape of wealth management, Portfolio Management Services (PMS) have emerged as a sought-after investment avenue for high-net-worth individuals (HNIs) in India.
As financial markets become increasingly complex, investors seek personalized and professional management of their portfolios to achieve their unique financial goals.
By examining the best PMS offerings in the country, investors can gain valuable insights to make informed decisions and optimize their wealth management journey in the dynamic and competitive Indian market. Here are the top 10 best PMS in India.
1. Motilal Oswal Next Trillion-Dollar Opportunity PMS (NTDO)
A specialized Portfolio Management Service provided by the Motilal Oswal Asset Management Company is called Motilal Oswal Next Trillion-Dollar Opportunity PMS (NTDO).
It is intended to take advantage of new chances and potentially multi-bagger stocks that might help India reach the next trillion-dollar market value.
To maximize profits for investors, NTDO seeks to identify businesses with promising development potential and make early investments in them.
- Growth Potential: Focus on high-growth stocks for potential significant returns.
- Professional Management: Handled by experienced professionals with a successful track record.
- Diversification: Portfolio diversified across sectors, reducing individual stock impact.
- Long-Term Approach: Aligned with investors seeking wealth creation over time.
- Market Risk: Exposed to market fluctuations and economic factors.
- Lack of Liquidity: Some small-cap stocks may have lower liquidity.
- Higher Volatility: Investments in growth stocks may experience higher volatility.
- Higher Fees: PMS fees might impact overall returns compared to mutual funds.
2. ASK Indian Entrepreneurship Portfolio
ASK Indian Entrepreneurship Portfolio is a Portfolio Management Service (PMS) offered by ASK Investment Managers, a reputed financial institution in India.
This PMS is specifically designed to cater to the investment needs of those looking to invest in Indian entrepreneurship and participate in the growth of innovative startups and early-stage companies.
ASK Investment Managers is a reputable PMS provider in India with a rich history of over 20 years in managing wealth for high-net-worth individuals (HNIs) and ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNIs).
They offer a range of PMS strategies, including India Select, Emerging Opportunities Portfolio (EOP), India Entrepreneur Portfolio (IEP), and India Realty Portfolio (IRP).
ASK Investment Managers’ investment philosophy revolves around key attributes such as size opportunity, quality of business, earnings growth, and value.
They focus on investing in consistent compounders with a high return on capital employed and robust earnings growth.
- Experience: ASK Investment Managers has over 20 years of wealth management experience, providing trust and reliability.
- Specialized Portfolios: Offers a dedicated India Entrepreneur Portfolio (IEP) tailored to entrepreneurs’ unique needs.
- Focus on Quality: Prioritizes strong businesses with the potential for stable returns through earnings growth.
- Value-Oriented Approach: Seeks undervalued opportunities for potential attractive investments.
- Higher Fees: May charge higher fees compared to other options.
- Limited Information: Specific company details and performance metrics may not be readily available.
- Market Dependency: Performance can fluctuate based on market conditions.
- Minimum Investment: Requires a higher minimum investment, potentially limiting access for smaller investors.
3. Porinju Veliyath Equity Intelligence PMS
Porinju Veliyath Equity Intelligence PMS is renowned as one of the most successful and leading Portfolio Management Services in India.
Founded in 2002 by Porinju Veliyath, this discretionary PMS provides personalized investment decisions to buy and sell stocks.
With a minimum investment requirement of Rs. 50 lakhs, the PMS offers flexibility, allowing investors to withdraw funds at any time without any lock-in period.
Over the past 5 years, Porinju Veliyath Equity Intelligence PMS has demonstrated outstanding performance, delivering an impressive average return of 35%.
This significant outperformance has surpassed major market indices like Nifty 50 and BSE Sensex. Another advantage of this PMS is that it imposes “no entry load” and “no exit load,” ensuring transparent and cost-effective investment.
The PMS charges a management fee of 2% per year, and an additional 10% is levied on the returns for enhanced performance. Additionally, NRIs can also participate in this PMS, broadening its accessibility to a wider investor base.
- Strong Track Record: The PMS has exhibited consistent and exceptional returns, outperforming benchmark indices.
- Transparency and Flexibility: Investors benefit from no entry or exit loads, and they can withdraw funds without any lock-in period.
- Experienced Fund Manager: Founded by Porinju Veliyath, an experienced and well-respected investor, the PMS is led by a skilled fund management team.
- High Minimum Investment: The minimum investment requirement of Rs. 50 lakhs may be a barrier for some potential investors.
- Performance Fee: The annual performance fee of 10% on returns may impact overall profits during strong market conditions.
4. Marcellus – Consistent Compounders
Marcellus Consistent Compounders is a prominent Portfolio Management Service (PMS) offered by Marcellus Investment Managers, a renowned financial institution in India.
The strategy of Consistent Compounders focuses on identifying and investing in high-quality companies with sustainable growth potential, aiming for long-term wealth creation.
One of the key principles of this PMS is to invest in businesses with consistent earnings growth, robust cash flows, and a proven track record of capital allocation.
The fund managers conduct in-depth research to select companies with strong competitive advantages and efficient management teams. These selected companies are expected to compound their earnings and deliver superior returns over the long term.
- Quality Investment Approach: Focus on high-quality companies with consistent growth and strong fundamentals.
- Expert Fund Managers: Managed by experienced professionals with a track record of identifying promising opportunities.
- Research-Driven Strategy: In-depth research and analysis inform well-informed investment decisions.
- Long-Term Orientation: Emphasis on long-term wealth creation over short-term market fluctuations.
- High Minimum Investment: Potential limitation for smaller investors.
- Concentrated Portfolio: Higher risk exposure to specific sectors or companies.
5. Birla Sunlife PMS
Birla Sunlife PMS is a Portfolio Management Service provided by Aditya Birla’s Asset Management Company (AMC). Established in 2004, it manages a substantial AUM of Rs. 22,000 Cr and serves over 350+ PMS clients.
The PMS requires a minimum investment of Rs. 50 lakhs, with a lock-in period ranging from 1 to 3 years. The management fees are negotiated based on a commission model between the PMS and the client.
Exit loads are waived after 12 months, but charges of 1.2%-2.2% apply within the first 12 months. Additionally, brokerage charges are levied at 0.01%-0.06% of the total transaction amount, while custodian fees range from 0.25%-0.45%, and depository fees are at 0.21%-0.32% of the total asset value.
- Established Brand: Being a part of Aditya Birla, Birla Sunlife PMS benefits from the reputation and credibility of a well-established financial brand.
- Large AUM: The substantial AUM indicates the confidence of a considerable number of clients in the PMS’s services.
- Experienced Fund Managers: The PMS is managed by experienced fund managers, likely providing expertise in handling client investments.
- High Minimum Investment: The minimum investment requirement of Rs. 50 lakhs may limit access for smaller investors.
- Lock-in Period: The lock-in period of 1-3 years may not be suitable for investors seeking more immediate liquidity.
6. Alchemy Capital Management (ACM)
Alchemy Capital Management (ACM) is a boutique investment management firm co-founded by Hiren Ved, Lashit Sanghvi, Late Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, and Ashwin Kedia in 1999.
The company offers various Portfolio Management Service (PMS) strategies, including High Growth Portfolio (HGP), Ascent, Leaders Portfolio (LP), and Value Plus Portfolio (VPP), among others.
ACM’s investment philosophy revolves around a Bottom-Up stock selection approach, focusing on identifying companies with the potential to perform well and achieve substantial growth, regardless of industry conditions.
The PMS aims to invest in high-growth companies with strong competitive advantages and reasonable valuations.
- Diverse PMS Strategies: ACM provides a range of PMS strategies catering to different investor preferences and risk profiles.
- Experienced Founders: Co-founded by seasoned investors, the firm benefits from the expertise and knowledge of its founders.
- Bottom-Up Approach: The focus on stock-level analysis allows for informed investment decisions based on the potential of individual companies.
- High-Growth Companies: The PMS targets investment in companies with strong growth prospects, positioning investors for potential significant returns.
- Limited Track Record: Investors should consider the firm’s performance history, especially for newer PMS strategies, to assess their effectiveness.
- Concentrated Risk: Depending on the PMS strategy, concentrated exposure to specific sectors or companies may increase risk.
- Minimum Investment Requirements: Potential high minimum investment criteria may limit access to the PMS for some investors.
7. ICICI Prudential Portfolio Management Services
ICICI Prudential Portfolio Management Services (PMS) stands as one of the leading providers in the industry, offering a diverse range of products and portfolios to investors.
These encompass Core & Thematic Portfolios, large cap, flexi cap, infrastructure, export, wellness, absolute return, and enterprising India portfolio categories.
For investors looking to access ICICI Prudential PMS, the minimum investment requirement is Rs. 50 lakhs. The prepaid commission fees range from 2.2% to 1.6%, while management fees vary from 0.22% to 0.15%, depending on the yearly transactional sum.
Additionally, a commission of up to 33% is charged on the profit amount. In addition to commission fees, other charges include brokerage, upfront fees, Depository charges, Exit loads, and Custodian charges.
- Diverse Product Range: ICICI PMS offers a wide array of portfolios, catering to different investment preferences and risk appetites.
- Established Institution: ICICI Prudential is a well-known and reputed financial institution, that provides confidence to investors.
- Customized Solutions: The PMS offers tailored investment strategies, aligning with the specific financial goals of investors.
- Experienced Management Team: Investors benefit from the expertise of an experienced and skilled management team.
- High Minimum Investment: The minimum investment requirement of Rs. 50 lakhs may limit access to smaller investors.
- Fee Structure: The PMS charges include various fees and commissions, potentially impacting overall returns.
- Market Risk: As with any equity-based investment, ICICI PMS is subject to market volatility and associated risks.
8. Kotak PMS
Kotak AMC PMS, established in 2012, has grown to become one of the largest Portfolio Management Service providers in India.
With a minimum investment requirement of Rs. 50 lakhs, it operates under the discretionary PMS type, granting the fund manager the authority to make investment decisions.
Kotak PMS adopts a diverse investment approach, investing in 10-25 stocks to achieve higher returns. The service offers two main products: the “Special Situations Value Strategy” and the “Small and Mid Cap Strategy.”
Regarding fees, Kotak PMS charges a fixed management fee of 2.5% annually with no charges on performance. However, there are exit loads applicable at rates of 3%, 2%, and 1% for early exits.
- Established and Reputed: Being one of the largest PMS providers, Kotak AMC PMS has earned a strong reputation in the market.
- Diverse Investment Approach: Investing in 10-25 stocks with different strategies enhances the potential for generating higher returns.
- Experienced Fund Management: The PMS is managed by experienced professionals, ensuring expertise in investment decisions.
- High Minimum Investment: The minimum investment requirement of Rs. 50 lakhs may restrict access for smaller investors.
- Exit Load Charges: Early exits attract exit load charges, potentially impacting returns for investors with shorter investment horizons.
Choosing the Best PMS in India
Selecting a Portfolio Management Service (PMS) in India is an important choice that has to be carefully thought out. You can follow these crucial steps to select the best PMS for your requirements:
Define your Goals
Clearly state your financial objectives, risk tolerance, and investment horizon when defining your investing goals. You may better connect your objectives with the PMS’s investing strategy if you are aware of what they are.
Assess Track Record
Examine the PMS’s past performance throughout several market cycles to evaluate its track record and performance. Analyze the returns produced, risk management techniques, and performance consistency.
Evaluate Fund Managers
Examine the experience and skills of the fund managers who are in charge of the PMS. Important considerations include their track record, investing philosophy, and risk-management strategy.
Understand Investment Strategy
Learn about the PMS’s investment strategy and whether it aligns with your risk appetite and financial goals. Consider whether the PMS focuses on equity, debt, or a combination of asset classes.
Minimum Investment Requirement
Check the minimum investment required for the PMS. Ensure it fits your budget and financial capacity.
Fee Structure: Understand the fee structure, including management fees and any performance-based charges. Compare fees with the potential returns to ensure cost-effectiveness.
Client Reviews and Testimonials
Seek feedback from existing clients about their experience with the PMS. Client reviews can provide valuable insights into the service’s quality and reliability.
Ensure the PMS is registered with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) and complies with all regulatory requirements.
Compare Multiple Options
Don’t rush into a decision. Compare different PMS providers, their performance, fees, and investment approaches to find the one that best suits your needs.
Seek Professional Advice
If needed, consult with a financial advisor or wealth manager to gain a better understanding of PMS options and how they align with your financial goals.
In conclusion, PMS services in India have emerged as a compelling option for investors seeking personalized and professional wealth management solutions.
Throughout this blog, we have explored the top PMS providers, their investment strategies, and their historical performance.
Understanding your financial goals, and risk tolerance, and conducting thorough research will help you select the right PMS to align with your needs.
With the dynamic Indian market offering numerous opportunities, a well-chosen PMS can be a valuable tool in achieving long-term wealth creation.
Remember to stay informed, keep track of market trends, and review your PMS periodically to ensure your investment journey remains on a successful path.
Open Demat Account Now – Fill up the Form Below
Most Read Articles
|Stock Broker Review|
|Best Intraday Trading Brokers in India|
|Top 10 Mobile Trading Apps|
|Top 10 Trading Platforms in India|